We’ve all been hearing updates in bits and pieces, and in one-off stories about the status of certain hotel projects in Tacoma + Pierce County, but sometimes it’s good to step back and take a look at the picture as a whole. There are several ongoing projects in Tacoma, Lakewood and DuPont that total more than 1,000 rooms. Even the mayor referenced these hotel developments as being factors in the growth of the region. Here’s an update from some of the projects that have broken ground, or close on the horizon.
- McMenamins Elk’s Lodge: Already under construction and set to open in fall 2017, this will be a boutique 46-room hotel in the historic Elk’s Lodge property in downtown Tacoma. It will feature several restaurants, an outdoor dining area and bars as well as venue space.
- Silver Cloud Hotel Point Ruston: Construction is well underway with a grand opening currently slated for spring of 2018, for this U-shaped, 180-room hotel. The finished property will have water views from 80 percent of its rooms and feature a 5,000-square-foot ballroom.
- Convention Center Hotel: A proposed full-service, four-star, 300-room hotel with convention space, 20,000 square feet of retail space and an on-site parking garage, attached to the Greater Tacoma Convention & Trade Center is expected to break ground in late 2016 and has been slated to open in late 2018.
- Marriott Residence Inn at Thea Foss Waterway: This proposed 104-room hotel project featuring extended-stay rooms, has attained shoreline and building permits, with word that the project could begin as early as this summer.
- Lakewood Marriott TownePlace Suites: Expected to break ground in May, this extended-stay hotel is expected to open the summer of 2017 and will feature 120 suites with neighborhood-style living and fully-equipped kitchens. It’s located just off exit 125 at Bridgeport Way SW, and North of the Holiday Inn on Pacific Highway.
- Home2 by Hilton: This DuPont project has broken ground and construction is underway. The 140-room project will be located next to the current Hampton Inn & Suites, and is expected to open in winter of this year.
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott: Also in DuPont, this property will feature approximately 75 rooms and will be located off of I-5 Exit 118.
- Candlewood Suites – Sumner: With current plans to break ground in late 2016, this extended-stay hotel will house 120+ suites all equipped with live-in kitchens. The new property will be located adjacent to the current Holiday Inn Express – Sumner.