Hipsters and Danish people (and presumably especially hipster Danes) call it “hygge,” but it’s really just a feeling of coziness, contentment and general wellbeing. It’s a feeling that’s pervasive in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle and Portland were listed #1 and #2 U.S. cities for hygge, respectively) because winter gives us the reason and the opportunity to cultivate it.
Visitors can and should take full advantage of the opportunities to embrace the feeling of coziness – by whatever name – while they enjoy Pierce County. Here’s how:
When you can’t pace the hallway any longer …
- Stretch away the winter blues with an hour-long yoga practice followed by a pint of beer at 7 Seas Brewing (voted Best South Sound Brewery, seven years running). Yoga pants required.
- Bundle up and enjoy a quiet beach walk along Pierce County’s 20+ miles of accessible shoreline (our favorites are Owen Beach in Tacoma, Sunnyside Beach in Steilacoom, Sunrise Beach Park in Gig Harbor).
When you need a creative fill-up
- Cuddle with Herbert the cat and the array of treasures at King’s Books in downtown Tacoma.
- Heat up your soul and your creativity with a glassblowing session at Area 253 Glassblowing Studio. Or leave it to the experts and catch a demo in the Museum of Glass hot shop.
When you’re running low on favorite beverages
- Lift your spirits and cozy up your insides at Heritage Distilling’s flagship in Gig Harbor. An assortment of flavored vodkas, gins and whiskeys await, but nothing says comfort more than the Brown Sugar Bourbon.
- Gather around the fireplace with a beer at the cozy Snorting Elk Cellar at Crystal Mountain Resort. You don’t even have to ski first. Or bring the fire to your table with the s’mores served at The Camp Bar in Tacoma.
- Catch a front-row seat to the whitecaps on Commencement Bay when you get a hot beverage at Anthem Coffee at Point Ruston.
- If the wind be blowin’ yer flag to tatters, get yer crew to the pirate-themed Devil’s Reef tiki bar in Tacoma. Yer sure t’ find a rum drink t’ yer liking.
Stay overnight and do it all on your own schedule
- Hotel Murano has a long fireplace along the lobby wall to make you feel warm all over.