Winter is a time of year where a cabin can turn into a snowy paradise, and Mt. Rainier is the place a couple or a family can enjoy that paradise with a fireplace, hot tub and hot beverages.
Several cabins on Mt. Rainier offer the chance to get away from the electronics and trappings of modern life. Here are six cabins and cottages with varying amenities, at the base of the Mountain in rustic Ashford, Washington, that will give you a snowy winter setting to make memories to last a lifetime.
Altimeter Cabin at Mt. Rainier
- Pricing: November – April $149.00 per night, double occupancy; May – October $165.00 per night, double occupancy; No cleaning fees.
- Accommodations: 1 private cabin, perfect for two; maximum occupancy is 6.
- Details: Altimeter is just one completely restored cabin built in the early 1900s, featuring open beamwork, log construction, custom woodwork, stone and tile. It’s got an outdoor hot tub, fire pit, board games and hammock setup for some disconnected relaxation time, and wifi, TV and video games for a little more technological comfort. All amenities are private, and not shared.
Copper Creek Inn at Mt. Rainier
- Pricing: $119 - $295 per night (most cabins are two-night stay minimum)
- Accommodations: Copper Creek offers lodges with rooms for rent, as well as stand-alone cabins. The cabins include:
- Copper Creek Log Cabin; sleeps 2; $165 per night (two guests)
- Copper Creek Lodge; sleeps 12; $295 per night (six guests)
- Art Studio Cabin; sleeps 4; $175 per night (two guests)
- Dream Weaver Cabin; sleeps 4; $195 per night (two guests)
- Forest Retreat; sleeps 6; $195 per night (two guests)
- Sky Cabin; sleeps 2; $119 per night (two guests)
- Snow Cabin; sleeps 2; $119 per night (two guests)
- Cedar Springs; sleeps 4; $185 per night (two guests)
- Copper Creekside Cabin; sleeps 6; $225 per night (two guests)
- Muir Cabin; $275 per night (six guests)
- Details: Copper Creek Inn, Cabins and Lodge is located two miles west of the Nisqually (southwest) entrance to Mount Rainier National Park. It’s a small resort with cabins and suites scattered throughout 10+ acres. Many of the cabins have private fire pits, hot tubs, outdoor grills and Wi-Fi access.
Basecamp Cottages (formerly Jasmer’s at Mt. Rainier)
Pricing: $125 - $150 per night (two-night stay minimum during off season; three-night stay for holidays and peak season)
- Song Bird; $135 per night
- Birds Nest; $125 per night
- Wild Bird; $150 per night
Details: Cozy and private, each of the three cottages (The Bird’s Nest, The Song Bird and the Wild Bird) is self-contained with warm and friendly décor, kitchenettes, fireplaces and private bathrooms. Basecamp Cottages’ standalone cottages are located six miles from the Mt. Rainier National Park entrance.
Pricing: $99 - $139 per night (two guests; Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and holidays are more, additional guests are $10)
- Cedar Cabin; sleeps 4; weekdays: $119; Weekends/holidays: $139
- Family Cabin; sleeps 3; weekdays: $99 (2 guests); Weekends/holidays: $119 (3 guests)
- Green Hill Cabin; sleeps 3; weekdays: $99 (2 guests); Weekends/holidays: $119 (3 guests)
Details: With lodges, cabins and even a chalet on 16 acres, The Lodge Near Mt. Rainier is perfect for couples, families or small groups who want privacy and outdoor enjoyment. The setup is flexible and each cabin or lodge has a well-equipped kitchen, modern bathrooms and a fireplace.
Wellspring Woodland Retreat & Spa
Pricing: $95 - $195 per night
- Tamarack; $195 per night
- Tieton; $195 per night
- Tioga; $195 per night
- Tenaya; $155 per night
- Tahoma; $155 per night
- Tuolumne; $155 per night
- Three Bears Cottage; $175 per night
- The Treehouse; $95 per night
Details: Wellspring is an entire campus that serves as a spa, retreat and cabin complex. The cabins share some amenities such as the hot tub, but each rustic log-cabin cottage unit has a handcrafted king feather beds set before a massive river rock fireplace, a jacuzzi tub for two and a full kitchen.
Pricing: $145 summer/$125 winter (minimum two night stay; based on two-person occupancy; each additional person $15)
Accommodations: One private cottage with one queen bed and two twin beds with a private bathroom
Details: Convenient to the mountain, Whittaker’s Bunkhouse Cottage is located about 1.5 miles toward the mountain from the actual bunkhouse accommodations. The stand-alone cottage features a full kitchen and a gas fireplace in an out-of-the-way location often visited by all kinds of wildlife.
To take your mountain trip to the next level of glamping...
Alexander's Lodge & Restaurant
Pricing: $110 (rooms) - $185 (cabins)
Details: Rustic living isn't for everyone. Built in 1912, this quaint Victorian inn is 1.3 miles from the Nisqually Entrance of Mount Rainier National Park in Ashford, and 12.5 miles from the Mount Rainier Scenic Railroad & Museum. The traditionally furnished rooms and suites have en suite bathrooms, free WiFi and flat-screen TVs; air conditioning, and some add desks and sofas. There are two vacation homes on the property with kitchens, fireplaces, TVs & free Wi-Fi. There is an on-site restaurant serving local cuisine, amenities include a day spa, a hot tub and snowshoe rentals. The inn also has a gift shop and an event space, and guests can access nature trails from the grounds.
Once you've booked your winter getaway accommodations, it's time to start thinking about things to do while you're on Mount Rainier. Luckily, Visit Rainier and Mount Rainier Visitor Association are both here to help make sure you know everything you need to know to plan your trip.