Known for its world-renowned glass art, Tacoma’s vibrant urban core is alive with culture. Find yourself surrounded by creativity and city sophistication when you eat, shop and stroll Tacoma’s downtown. The friendly city inspires many to celebrate the melding of old and new. See historic architecture amidst urban design.
The city’s many districts abound with culture. Stroll the museum district where you can explore art, glass and history. Wander amongst the eclectic mix of upbeat restaurants and music venues on Sixth Avenue. Shop the unique boutiques in the historic Proctor and Stadium districts, which bustle with foot traffic. Rooted in the arts, Tacoma is the place to be.
Tacoma is ideally situated along the saltwater banks of Puget Sound. Boasting stunning natural surroundings, you don’t need to pack hiking boots to enjoy the mesmerizing outdoors. Explore the parks, gardens and wildlife that make Tacoma a nature wonderland. The nature in Tacoma extends beyond just land. Comb the beaches of the water’s edge and test the open waters in a kayak or boat. Come experience Tacoma’s nature—rain or shine. There’s plenty for you do to, both indoors and out.
Things to doTacoma's Art Scene
- Walk the Chihuly Bridge of Glass [a 500-foot outdoor glass art display] then tour the Museum of Glass, the Tacoma Art Museum, Children’s Museum and the Washington State History Museum. Create your own glass masterpiece at the Tacoma Glassblowing Studio.
- Check out the locally-owned restaurants and shops. Visit It's Amore, where you can sip wines and beers from around the world, savor an assortment of Italian cuisine and dance to live music. Or find treasures at one of the more than 25 shops on Antique Row.
- Catch a live theater performance at the Broadway Center for the Performing Arts or the Tacoma Musical Playhouse. Watch an indie film at the Grand Cinema or get your fill of laughter at the Tacoma Comedy Club.
Tacoma's Nature Scene
- Cruise the waters of the Puget Sound and learn the history of Tacoma on a guided boat tour with Destiny Harbor Tours. Enjoy Pacific Northwest seafood at one of the waterfront restaurants along Ruston Way.
- Venture to Point Defiance Park for endless outdoor activities and while you’re there check out the Point Defiance Zoo + Aquarium. Encounter wildlife by riding a camel, watching polar bears swim or talking with walruses.
- Sample local and fresh ingredients, grown right here! Meet local farmers at more than four farmers markets throughout Tacoma’s neighborhoods, featuring fresh produce, meats, music, arts and crafts.