January 23, 2012
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Amtrak presents the 5th Annual National Train Day, a celebration of trains and the different ways trains touch the lives of people around the country. The celebration will take place at train stations in New York City, Philadelphia, Chicago and Los Angeles, as well as numerous other communities throughout the nation, on Saturday, May 12, 2012.
National Train Day is for people who relish the journey – not just the destination. This one-of-a-kind train event will bring the ‘rail way’ to life for those in attendance, as well as those participating online and through social media. To join in the celebration of this year’s National Train Day, passengers who are inspired by their train travel experiences can share what they see and do on their train journeys by submitting photos, video and stories at NationalTrainDay.com, on facebook at facebook.com/NationalTrainDay or on Twitter at @natltrainday for a chance to win prizes.
"Trains have always been an important part of America’s transportation legacy, and Amtrak has been America’s Railroad for 40 years. This past year, we had a record-breaking 30 million passengers enjoying the journey on our trains, and this year’s National Train Day will celebrate the unique excitement and inspiration train travel offers,” said Emmett Fremaux, Amtrak Vice President, Marketing and Product Development.
Signature experiences in the four markets will feature a wide array of family-friendly activities including:
- Train Equipment Displays: Get up close with Amtrak equipment. In select markets, take a walk through a privately owned, luxury train car. Commuter displays will highlight rail passenger services, and freight equipment displays will show how “green” locomotives transform the nation’s freight fleet.
- Kids Depot: Bring the kids and let them build, explore and compete for surprise giveaways happening all day long at the All Aboard Explorers’ kids zone.
- Model Train Displays: Take a closer look at the miniature masterpieces and marvel at the wonder of the model train displays that will be featured on-site at National Train Day.
- K-9 Unit Demonstrations: Interact with Amtrak Security K-9 Units, one of the largest programs in the United States.
- Amtrak High Speed Rail Display: Explore the future of high speed rail travel.
- Amtrak Culinary Experience: Enjoy live cooking demonstrations by Amtrak celebrity chefs and taste free samples of regional culinary specialties.
- See More Store: Take home a print, a t-shirt, and other memorabilia that will remind us to see more, do more, live more from the passenger seat of a train.
For more on the 5th Annual National Train Day, visit NationalTrainDay.com, “like” National Train Day at facebook.com/NationalTrainDay, and follow National Train Day on Twitter at @natltrainday.
About Amtrak®: Celebrating 40 years of dedicated service as America’s Railroad® Amtrak is the nation’s intercity passenger rail provider and its only high-speed rail operator. A record 30.2 million passengers traveled on Amtrak in FY 2011 on more than 300 daily trains – at speeds up to 150 mph [241 kph] – that connect 46 states, the District of Columbia and three Canadian Provinces. Amtrak operates trains in partnership with 15 states and four commuter rail agencies. Enjoy the journeySM at Amtrak.com or call 800-USA-RAIL for schedules, fares and more information. Join us on facebook.com/Amtrak and follow us at twitter.com/Amtrak.
# # #
LeadDog Marketing Group